Shimla is a hill station which is the capital of Himachal Pradesh in India. In the pre-independence stage, it was the summer capital of the British Empire. The city derives its name from goddess Shyamala Devi, an incarnation of Kali.
Shimla is a popular tourist destination in India and people flock the place especially in the summer season. In order to enjoy the beauty of Shimla to the fullest, visitors need to make a proper planning. Here are ten popular activities that you can enjoy in Shimla.
The best time to visit Shimla is between the months of April to July during the summer season when most of India is under the scorching heat. Visitors can make an ideal retreat to the pleasant cool Shimla weather. People who want to feel snow and trekkers can also visit Shimla in the months of November to February when there are frequent snowfalls.
- First things first, you need to go for sightseeing tours in Shimla. Some of the notable points of interests are the Ridge in Shimla, Christ Church, Jakhu Temple, Summer Hill and Himachal State Museum and Library.
- Excursions form a significant part of Shimla tours. You can embark on excursion tours to Manali, Kullu, and Rohtang Pass and so on. The rugged terrain of these destinations has always attracted adventure lovers and tourists alike.
- If you love biking, you can go for biking tours on the rugged mountains of Shimla. Some of the well-known hot-spots for biking in Shimla are Chamba, Kullu Manali, Tabo, and so on.
- For the adventure lovers, who look forward to the challenge of climbing some of the steepest mountains in the Himalayas, Shimla Cycling can be a tremendous experience. Travelers can begin their journey from Kumarhatti on the Shimla Kalka Road and reach the small town of Saharan. The whole path lies through the rugged mountainous terrain. From Saharan, travelers can descend down through the heavily forested areas and valleys to the Doon valley in the Garhwal Mountains.
- Tourists and adventure lovers like spend some days amidst the snowy mountains and experience the beauty of Mother Nature in camping tours. Some of the well-known hot-spots for Camping at Shimla are Sholgi, Barog, and Chail and so on.
- If you like a memorable toy train ride, embark on the Shimla-Kalka Train tour. The Shimla-Kalka Train is a narrow gauge train and travels through a rugged landscape and mountainous terrain offering wonderful view of the scenic surroundings. It has been included in the list of the world heritage sites by the UNESCO.
- If you like food, there are lots of good dining outlets in Shimla. Visitors can taste both local as well as well-known international dishes from the Shimla Restaurants. Most of the Restaurants of Shimla are located at the Mall, which is the main city center.
- For shopping, you can visit the local handicrafts markets and other curio shops. Most of the curio shops are located in and around the Mall and Ridge.
- If you love golf,